Monday, March 10, 2014

Greek Girls Guide to Good Food #20- Bougatsa

This week I am making Bougatsa, a phyllo dish that I always make with my family when we are all up north together. This is one of my absolute favorite Greek Desserts! I am so excited to make it and bring it in for my teacher on Monday. I have been working hard and tried a recipe yesterday that I will modify when I make it Sunday either by myself or with my Popou. The bougatsa video will be in this post tomorrow because I had some technical troubles yesterday and was not able to upload the video. Enjoy the recipe and a picture of the lamb a few weeks ago!!

The recipe is as follows:

2 cups milk
1/4 cup semolina flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 eggs whole, 2 egg yolks
1 tsp vanilla
1 lemon peel
11/4 cup butter
1-2 tsp cinnamon
powdered sugar to top
1 pkg. Phyllo Dough

1. Preheat oven to 350
2.  Start by warming the milk up in a large saucepan, and melting 1/2 cup of the butter either in another saucepan or in the microwave.
3. Once milk is warm (not boiling) grate the lemon peel finely and add it to the milk. Combine butter in saucepan.
4. Turn the fire to low and add the semolina flour, while stirring.
5. In a separate bowl, combine eggs, yolks, vanilla, and sugar and mix thouroughly.
6. When semolina mixture thickens, add the egg mixture to it and keep stirring on low.
7. Prepare a baking pan with butter and melt the other 3/4 cup butter.
8. Brush about 10 sheets of phyllo with butter and add them to the bottom of the pan.
9. When semolina mixture is of custard consistency, add it on top of the phyllo and put 10 more sheets of phyllo on top.
10. Bake for 30-35 minutes and enjoy!!

1 comment: